Admission Types

First Year (freshman) Student: A student who has not attended a post-secondary institution since graduating high school or GED completion and is planning to be degree seeking. The student will still be considered a freshman if enrolled in college level coursework while still attending high school.

Transfer Student: A student who has attended one or more post-secondary institutions (after high school graduation) other than MSU.

Collaborative Student: A collaborative student is a student who is earning a degree from Mayville State University, but taking courses at another North Dakota University System (NDUS) institution within the same term for financial aid purposes. Correspondence courses are not eligible for a collaborative registration.

Collaborative students must meet the following criteria.

  1. Admission to Mayville State as a degree-seeking student.
  2. No negative service indicators preventing enrollment.
  3. Enrolled in at least one course at Mayville State for the term.
  4. Enrollment cannot exceed 22 credits between Mayville State and the provider institution for the term without appropriate approval.
  5. Meet all pre-requisites and co-requisites as set by the provider institution.

For more information regarding the collaborative registration process contact the Office of Extended Learning at 701-788-4667.

Early Entry Student: A high school student who is admitted to take college courses. Through Mayville State’s Dual Credit program, qualified high school students are able to enroll in specifically approved classes taught in their local high schools, or through interactive video or online. They receive “dual credit,” both high school and university credit for their work. Credit earned under this program will be applicable toward a degree at Mayville State, and other North Dakota University System institutions, and is generally transferable to other accredited colleges and universities.

A high school student enrolled in grades ten, eleven or twelve who has received permission from his or her school administrator, may be eligible for enrollment in a Mayville State dual credit course. High school counselors and teachers may advise students regarding their academic readiness to participate in dual credit courses, and only those students who are academically ready should enroll in a dual credit course.

Students enrolling at Mayville State University in courses eligible for dual credit must follow the admissions processes established by the North Dakota University System and Mayville State University. High school sophomores, juniors, or seniors with a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average and permission from a school administrator are eligible to enroll in courses at Mayville State University which are accepted as dual credit by the high school where the student attends. Per NDUS Procedure 402.1.2, dual credit students enrolling in ENGL 110 College Composition I will be required to have an ACT English sub-test score of 18 or higher or an equivalent approved assessment. Additionally, effective Fall 2012, dual credit students enrolling in MATH 103 College Algebra will be required to have an ACT Mathematics sub-test score of 21 or higher or an equivalent approved assessment. While a 3.0 minimum GPA is required for dual credit enrollment, approved placement scores per North Dakota University System Procedure 402.1.2 supersede the GPA requirement for ENGL 110 College Composition I and MATH 103 College Algebra only.

Early entry students interested in taking MSU courses offered for dual credit will need to submit a letter from the high school principal or designee allowing enrollment in college courses prior to high school graduation.

For more information regarding dual credit or non-dual credit early entry enrollment, contact the Office of Extended Learning at 701-788-4667.

Graduate Student: a student who has already earned a Bachelor’s degree and has been admitted to MSU as a graduate student. Graduate students may apply as non-degree or degree seeking. Only graduate students are permitted to enroll in graduate courses. 

For further information on applying to Mayville State as a graduate student, please contact the Office of Admissions at 701-788-4635.

Non Degree Student: A student who does not intend to earn a degree from MSU but would like to enroll in a course or courses. A non-degree student may take one or more classes either on campus or online for personal interest, to transfer to another college or university or to apply to teacher licensure requirements after graduation. For more information on the application process, contact the Office of Extended Learning at 701-788-4667.

Non-degree students (early entry, dual credit, undergraduate and graduate) are not eligible for federal financial aid programs but may be eligible for private or alternative loans. Please contact the Financial Aid Office at 701-788-4893 for more information.

Returning Student: A degree seeking student who has previously taken classes from and/or graduated from MSU. A returning student must submit a new application for the new entry term and submit official transcripts from any institution attended after leaving Mayville State along with any other official documents not previously submitted.