Transfer Credit Policy

Mayville State University will accept undergraduate courses from another college or university which is accredited by one of the regional institutional accrediting associations or from a foreign university or college approved by an accrediting association that is a member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or U.S. Secretary of Education or is recognized by a specific country’s Minister of Education. MSU accepts Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) credits in transfer. CCAF is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

The Director of Academic Records evaluates transfer credits according to Curriculum Committee approval and in consultation with appropriate faculty. Course equivalencies and course substitutions are reviewed by the appropriate division chairperson.

Credits earned through an institution which holds no accreditation and is not eligible for Federal Title IV funds will not be accepted in transfer. The Director of Academic Records and the Vice President for Academic Affairs may research the validity and integrity of those institutions where questions exist.

This policy is in accordance with that of Mayville State University’s regional accrediting agency, the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association, which permits each institution to determine the transferability of credit from non-regionally accredited colleges.

If a course does not appear on the transfer evaluation under essential studies or the major/minor/specialization, it will be applied as an elective toward the 120 semester hours required for graduation.

Transfer students may consult with the appropriate Division Chair in an attempt to more precisely define equivalencies or identify appropriate substitutions. If a substitution is found, the Request for Substitution or Waiver of Academic Requirements form will need to be completed and returned to the Office of Academic Records.

The North Dakota University System (NDUS) has developed a general education transfer agreement to assist students who transfer within the NDUS. For further explanation of this agreement, see

Minnesota transfer students with an Associate of Arts degree who have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum would be exempt from additional lower-division essential studies courses unless the degree program requires lower division essential studies courses. Students who have completed an AS degree may have met North Dakota lower division general education requirements, but must provide the receiving North Dakota institution with an official transcript indicating such completion, as not all MnSCU AS degrees require MTC completion. For further explanation of this agreement, see

Students who have completed a general education program from another regionally accredited institution (Associate of Science or Associate of Arts degree) be granted a waiver of Mayville State University’s COMM 110, Fundamentals of Public Speaking, as long as they have successfully completed an alternative communication course, unless COMM 110 is a stated program pre-req. for the major the student is pursuing. 

Total hours earned and the grade point average from all transfer institutions are entered on the Mayville State University official transcript and are calculated for a cumulative grade point average, however, transfer courses do not appear on the MSU official transcript.

Transfer students who graduate from two-year institutions and have earned at least 60 semester hours of college-level credit will transfer to Mayville State with junior standing.

Courses deemed below college level, including, but not limited to, developmental English, Math or Reading, are not accepted in transfer.

See “Academic Information” section of this catalog for graduation requirements.