Professional Program Information

Mayville State University allows students to prepare for professional degrees not offered by the University. No specific baccalaureate degree is required for entry into many of the common professional programs, but careful planning is imperative for successful matriculation. All students should be aware that specific requirements for professional schools vary and change over time. Web sites for professional programs, including some of the most frequently chosen by MSU students, are provided in the appropriate sections. To make the students’ admission transition as smooth as possible, students are urged to plan carefully with an academic advisor at Mayville State University while they consult the Web site of the institution they plan to attend.


The following site of the Association of Chiropractic Colleges in Bethesda, MD provides information as well as a list of chiropractic schools in the United States: The Web site for the Northwestern Health Sciences in Bloomington, MN is Students interested in Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport, IA should consult:

A bachelor’s degree is required in many states for licensure. Consult your MSU advisory and the Chiropractic College where you plan to transfer to make sure of requirements.


Institutions of higher education offering two- and four-year programs in criminal justice normally require basic essential studies courses as part of that program. Students should be familiar with the total program of the school to which they are transferring so that a smooth transition can be made. Careful planning should be done with an advisor.


The current trend in preparing for the dental profession is for the student to complete a four-year degree prior to admission to dental school. The curriculum for admission to dentistry schools depends on the school to which a student applies. The following site will provide information regarding universities that have schools of dentistry: The following site is recommended for those interested in the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry:

The following web site provides information for all types of engineering schools. Students should plan carefully with their advisor and with the engineering schools they plan to attend.


There is no prescribed pre-law curriculum for admission to most law schools. A four-year degree is normally required for admission along with satisfactory scores on the Law School Admission Test. Students considering a law program should consult with their advisors in planning their program of study by examining the curricula of the college to which they plan to transfer. Information can be found at:

MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENCE (Medical Technology Programs)

Mayville State University offers a B.S. in Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) in collaboration with the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences. This degree will articulate into advanced degree programs in MLS.

A directory of programs for each state can be found at:


The common practice for students wishing to enter medical school is to receive four-year degrees, applying to medical school during the fourth year. Students interested in medical programs may contact the U.S. and Canadian Medical School Admissions Offices at:


The American Board of Funeral Services maintains a directory of all college and university programs accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABF-SE):


Students who are interested in nursing programs can complete pre-requisite courses at Mayville State University. MSU and Lake Region State College (LRSC) are partnering to offer the Dakota Nursing Program on the Mayville campus which started in fall 2010. Students may complete up to one year of coursework from Mayville State to meet the admission requirements for the Dakota Nursing Program.

Students who have completed an Associate Degree in Nursing, and are a current licensed Registered Nurse, may apply to Mayville State’s online RN to BSN program.


It is important that students understand that each college of optometry has its own specific requirements and procedures. The following site will help students find optometry sites and information. Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry: Member Schools and Colleges of Optometry: go to


Contact the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy: Pharmacy School Admission Requirements (PSAR):


To find CAPTE Accredited Physical Therapist Education Programs—Commission on Accreditation I Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), go to: Education Programs and Students Resources at


The Web site: will provide guidance for students interested in pursuing a career in veterinary science.